I would like you to think about this for a moment: when was the last time you watched a movie (or even a cartoon!) where you didn’t see at least one wedding scene? If you haven’t noticed this trend so far, please pay attention to it and you will know exactly what I am talking about! Weddings are so trendy that even Tarantino incorporates them into his scenarios. Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit, but you got the point.
As unbelievable as this may sound, I just LOVE weddings. Love. Really love. Without pretending, without exaggeration or any bamboozling – not only do I love to organize them (and my favorite part of the organization is the wedding day itself) but I live for the day when the postman brings me an invitation to a wedding where I am a real guest (although , I’m never really just a guest if you know what I mean, but I love that part too!). Now that I have shared this with you, it is time to say that I naturally also love movies and everything that has anything to do with weddings – commercials, cartoons, reality shows. All of it! And I have to admit that I was born at a good time, because my dears – everything, everything these days is about weddings!
Today a bit different post than usual, since we are spending so much time with remote control in nour hands this year and Netflix became some sort of a friend these days . So let’s go through Netflix wedding movies guide for those “hygge” winter evenings under the blanket when the fiance falls asleep. Don’t take advantage of a man’s goodwill to watch just about every wedding movie, rather use it for The Shoes (not a movie, actualy shoes for your wedding day ;)). Or that veil that costs like a loan installment for an apartment, but you know deep down inside, and I mean REALLY know that it was secretly made just for you.
Therefore, prepare a large bowl of popcorn (not only are they convenient, but they also have much less calories of all the snacks so you have an excuse you are taking care of your bridal looks), your favorite blanket and take a remote in your hands! Netflix has brought romantic comedies back into an absolute trend!
1. Mamma Mia! – this is an unforgettable classic of the modern era if you are preparing for a wedding. You have no idea how many times I have heard brides saying they want the reincarnation of a Mamma Mia wedding on their special day. I can bet your fiancé won’t watch this, so plan the movie night with your friends or solo – it is always a good choice! And yes, first part is much better than second, but do watch them both 🙂
2. Decoy Bride – When the paparazzi sabotage the wedding of international film star Lara and English writer James, they decide to move the wedding to a remote Scottish island. But it is not so easy to deceive journalists, and the couple will have to decide on much more drastic measures. This is where Katie shows up – she is chosen to be a fake bride to mislead the paparazzi. When Katie meets James, sparks start flickering between them and things get complicated… An interesting story development that you can watch with your fiancé and here and there mention which scenario would happen to him if something like that came to his mind.
3. Meet the parents – I don’t know about you, but I’ve watched this movie a dozen times. And you could possibly watch this one with your fiancé. The biggest nightmare for our better halves is the disapproval of the bride’s father, and in this case – is truly turning into a nightmare. A great combination of Ben Stiller and Robert de Niro in this solid comedy where we hope that love conquers everyone, even the father-in-law who is a former CIA agent.
4. The Week of – Adam Sandler is one of Netflix’s top comedians and their biggest star. In this combination with the hilarious star Chris Rock – they play fathers of the future newlyweds who spend the week together before the wedding date. A decent comedy, which, again, could work with your fiancé.
5. Bachelorette (2012) – although there really are no good reviews about this one, this romantic comedy with a very good cast is, to me personally, hilarious. Some would describe this movie as a female “Hangover” because the plot gets complicated by every minute. Recommendation: watch with maid of honor and / or bridesmaids. And be sure to indicate which actions from the movie are strictly forbidden, so that they don’t think that you are giving them ideas for your hen party.
6. Jenny’s wedding – Jenny is finally getting married (speaking of which – have you seen the movie Muriel is getting married? If not, it’s a warm recommendation (blast from the past, as it’s quite old J)!), and her extremely traditional Catholic family, which drives her crazy every day and comments about her biological clock, is relieved. But it’s not that simple- Jenny is a lesbian and marries the chosen one of her heart, Kitty. Watch an interesting, fun and touching romantic comedy with your friends, girlfriend or sister – this is likely not the material for your boyfriend.
7. Wedding Unplanned – icing at the top of the cake! When she finds the wedding planner’s business card in Mathias’s pocket, Alexia immediately says “Yes”, unaware of the fact that the card belongs to his mistress. An hour and a half of good fun and just believe me – from personal experience I can tell you that this is a scenario that does not happen. Although you’ll probably rethink hiring a wedding planner when you see this movie, will you :D?
What are your favorite wedding related movies? Tell us! 🙂
Hello, my name is Jess. My husband, Matt, and I married at Grand Villa Argentina in Dubrovnik in July 2018. I am a cabin manager for an Airline and my husband works in banking. We live in a small town in Surrey, UK. We got engaged in November 2016. My husband proposed in Fort Myers, Florida at sunset after 8 years of love. It came to me by complete surprise as we had been in a relationship for so long a proposal just wasn’t on my radar.
How two of you meet each other? What is your engagement story?
Matt and I met at work in a bank in the UK. We had some friends in common and started socialising outside of the office, our relationship blossomed very organically with little no pressure for a long term relationship. Before we knew it we had fallen in love.
How you decided to have a wedding in Dubrovnik? How your friends and family reacted when they heard about your wedding location?
We love to travel and were lucky enough to be able to go on 2-3 overseas trips a year. We visited Dubrovnik for a weekend early on in our relationship and were captured by its beauty, climate and fabulous hospitality. Once engaged , we explored a few different options for a destination wedding but Dubrovnik had already won our hearts.
What was the most stressful thing about your wedding planning?
I truly cannot think of anything that caused either of us any stress. Ines and Matea covered EVERYTHING. I loved taking a back seat with regards to logistics, we just had the joy of choosing the creative elements. For example the flowers, I provided some photos and inspiration and on the day they blew me away. They were a hundred times better than I could ever have imagined. I did not have to worry about any coordination on the day, Matea ensured that everything went to plan and made sure our day was absolutely perfect.
What was your ‘must have’ for the wedding?
For us, it was intimacy. We both were adamant we didn’t want a huge wedding as we are both quite introverted. We had approximately 45 close friends and family who we are so blessed to have in our lives.
How did you feel just before you walked down the aisle?
I forgot how to walk in a straight line, there was so much concentration required. Matea gave me so much practical and emotional support and it’s these kinds of details and kindness that brides will never forget.
What worried you the most night before the wedding?
I was anxious with excitement rather than worry. I had a lovely pamper evening with my cousin who was my bridesmaid and just indulged in pure relaxation. Looking back, is there anything you would change? Retrospectively, we both wish that we chose to have a videographer. The day just goes do quickly, I would love to be able to watch it all on replay over and over again
What was the funniest thing that happened on the day?
We loved the speeches, one of our dear friends wrote the funniest speeches including all of the embarrassing, cringe worthy yet hilarious stories from over the years. The kind you never wish your family to ever learn.
What 3 advices would you give to other brides planning their wedding?
- If you are on a budget prioritise what is most important to you to make sure you include all of your favourite things
- Factor in some time after your ceremony for you and your husband or wife to take it all in, have some water and top up your lipstick as when you return to your guests time will fly as you are having such a great time.
- Don’t be afraid to let go of control of the planning/logistics. Ines and Matea are fantastic at what they do and will bring your vision to life.
Photo by: Veronica Arevalo (Svadbas Photography)
Our engagement was amazing, it was out 6th anniversary and he took me to a beautiful spa hotel in the countryside. We had a luxurious suite, when we arrived he said he had a present but I had to close my eyes for it, when I opened my eyes he was on one knee. We spent the afternoon drinking champagne and telling our family and friends.
He told me after that he was meant to be asking me at dinner that evening but he was so nervous he wanted to get it out of the way. I had a small idea that it might happen because we had just been away on holiday the week before so we could have celebrated our anniversary then. Even though I had a feeling, it didn’t seem real so it was still a huge surprise and I was in tears for a while after (happy of course).
Our story is the best proof that Love will knock at your door when you least expect it. Back in 2013 I was living in Dubai, working as a flight attendant for Emirates. Gabriel, who was living in San Francisco, traveled to Dubai to visit his half-sister… who happened to be my roommate, so he stayed in my house. After about 4 days we were madly in love with each other; so much so that we decided to start a long distance relationship, although we were literally living on opposite sides of the Planet. Our love continued to grow and I eventually left my job and moved to San Francisco.
In November 2015 we took a trip to Bonaire Island because we learned that was one of the few places in the World where licensed Scuba divers can dive only with a buddy (without an instructor). Around the third day of diving, as we were floating around marine life 15 meters below the surface, Gabriel handed me a seashell and signaled that I should hold it very tight. I noticed it was wrapped in scotch tape and started to get an idea… but I could not believe that was actually happening!!! It was a complete surprise. The emotions totally overwhelmed me when I opened it and saw the ring (carefully tied with some fishing line). He put it on my finger, my hand was shaking. Then he wrote on a board “Will you marry me?” I wanted to cry but it’s not that easy on the bottom of the ocean with a scuba mask on! I was so nervous that I even forgot he was waiting for an answer. After a few moments I nodded my head YES. We took a video ourselves (since there was no one else with us) and we always laugh when we watch it. We are so lucky we have found each other and so grateful for special memories like this one!
Dubrovnik Event is proudly announcing Black Friday deal – in collaboration with different partners, Dubrovnik Event offers special package with discounts and gifts to all couples who decide to book Dubrovnik Event as their wedding planners. Discounted photo packages, complimentary hair and makeup trial and personalized grappa favors are just some of included elements you may find in our special package which is combined with our standard packages.
Offer is available until Monday, 30th of November.
Sachin proposed on a boat. He was acting very suspiciously that day. When I asked if I could have some water from his backpack, he shouted no and snatched it off me. I guessed there must be a ring hiding in there, which of course there was. I was so excited when he got down on one knee, that I didn’t listen to any of the speech he had prepared.
I met Chris in London, at a mutual friends birthday party. We were introduced because Chris was about to spend the summer travelling around Bosnia & Croatia (where I’m from), our friend said something along the lines of “you need to speak to Aida about your trip and get her recommendations”, we got talking and it went from there.
We got engaged in the Cotswolds, which is a really beautiful area of natural beauty in England (think “the Holiday” movie with Cameron Diaz). Chris had planned a romantic weekend away doing all of my favourite things including booking me in for a spa treatment, a yoga session and a romantic dinner. He proposed to me in a little village called Snowshill which has always been a place we would visit as an escape from the hustle and bustle of London. On our way back to London, we stopped over at my sisters house so that we could celebrate with my mum/ family which was so sweet.
Before Chris proposed, I found out that he had lunch with my mum to ask her permission to marry me (my dad had passed away by this point and I am extremely close to my mum). We always have a joke that my mum is the worst at keeping secrets so I was very impressed that she didn’t accidentally blurt out his plans to me!
COVID situation hit us hard – in many different ways we could not even imagine at the start of the
pandemic. Some of us lost control of our lives, some lost source of income and some of us… some
lost closest and loved ones. But, only dark times open doors we never knew existed.
Even though we didn’t have any weddings this year, we are grateful for the lessons we learned and
new paths and approaches we acknowledged. Especially, we are thankful for our clients who put
their endless trust and support (in us) in these challenging times.
Whole Dubrovnik Event team is looking forward to 2021 – we see it as a year of love, positive
changes and re-learned beauty of living. Maybe it cannot be clearly seen in these times, but beauty
of living is around us, waiting to be re-discovered.
And what about Events? We truly believe that love would never be cancelled, and celebrating it is in
our nature – sharing special moments with people we care about would never go out of the trend,
and our desire to make people feel special would never fade away. Every day, any given day.