We’ve all seen numerous shows on hectic “bridezillas” and probably the first thing that comes to your mind when someone mentions stress on the wedding day are those scenes and images.
It’s totally normal to behave in a certain way, we all have different personalities, and it is important to understand that every bride is different and more (or less) demanding than the other.
Before we jump in into how to manage stress on your wedding day, we’ll cover how stress impacts our regular daily lives. Once again, every person is different, and stress doesn’t have an equal impact on everybody. It is also manifested differently among every individual (it is all really depending on the situation) I can feel more stress than you do and we’re in the same situation. Looks like you handle it better and don’t think of this situation as that big of a deal, whereas I clearly do. And that’s OK.
From a more scientific standpoint from the American Psychological Association “Stress affects all systems of the body including the musculoskeletal, respiratory, cardiovascular, endocrine, gastrointestinal, nervous, and reproductive systems.” Meaning, muscles tense up, we are out of breath, our blood pressure rises and what not. It is not really something to look forward to when you’re about to say, “I do”.
How to prevent that from happening? Well, we’re glad you asked 😊
So, my dear, here are 5 tips on how to stay stress free on your wedding day.
- First and probably most important step is to hire a wedding planner – This step enables you to be sure that everything will be executed just like you’ve imagined. Worrying is a big contributor to the rising stress levels and anxiety. We all know that weddings require a lot of detailed planning. Having someone with whom you’ve already went through the whole process multiple times will make you feel more relaxed and calmer. The basis of reducing stress is the feeling of knowing that everything is under control.
2. Don’t follow the “rules” ” – It is known that on a wedding day it is all about the bride & groom. You know that all eyes will be set on you. You don’t need to have a bunch of people around you when you’re getting ready. It is totally fine to have just a few people you feel calm and relaxed around, those who you always feel good around. Those that always have good advice and those who have an amazing energy.
3. Don’t skip on food – Don’t worry, you’ll fit into the dress even if you have a good breakfast. No, seriously now. Don’t neglect the importance of having something in your stomach. Here in Croatia, we don’t do anything on an empty stomach you know. It’s a crime! And also, hydrate. You’ll feel more focused and relaxed. Our brain and gut are so closely linked. You wouldn’t believe how are our thoughts affecting the gut and its lining.
- Have some alone time with your partner – Even if it’s hiring a separate transfer from the ceremony to the reception venue. Or, sneaking away from the party for a couple of minutes. Do it! You two are finally a husband and wife and having those minutes for just the two of you will feel so soothing and relaxing for both of you. So intimate, immersed in the feels…
- Breathe and meditate – Or don’t. But make sure to be present and grounded. Don’t let your thoughts wander around your head leaving toxic marks. The time that you lose while being stressed is the time you’ve lost that could have been filled with positive thinking. And we sure cannot turn back time. Enjoy every moment, don’t let stress win. It’s your day not his!